Finding a PREMi Resolution Specialist Near You…
PREMi is an organization of dispute resolution experts who have numerous years experience in the various dispute resolution techniques.
Jerome F. Rock
Jerome F. Rock is an attorney, engineer, and former business executive who maintains a full-time practice as a mediator and arbitrator for business, technology, and construction industry disputes.
Jerry is the author of the chapter on Settlement and Negotiation for Michigan Civil Procedure, the comprehensive treatise published by the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. His focus on academic research has a strong practical application that brings additional sophistication to the negotiation and settlement process. He is a strong, positive force and a creative yet pragmatic problem solver in helping counsel deal with complicated situations and challenging clients.
Although currently a full-time neutral, he previously handled complex business transactions and disputes, and therefore understands all sides in the litigation dynamic. He was a founding partner of Jacob & Weingarten (a business focused law firm), has two engineering degrees, and served as the chief executive of a $40 million engineering firm where he was involved in developing sophisticated engineering and construction applications for the auto, construction, and telecommunications industries. He has negotiated joint venture and development agreements with companies around the world.
Jerry believes mediation and facilitation should be viewed as a process, not simply an event, and that there are many instances where the parties can fashion better outcomes, earlier, by adopting and executing a customized ADR process. Based on his experience, he has published several Protocols that offer specific instructions incorporating Best Practices to address the unique issues associated with business and technology disputes, particularly at Pre-Suit and Early Stage mediation. As a neutral, he relies on his business background to provide the perspective on risk, uncertainty as well as the costs and disruption to ongoing operations that often results in pragmatic and mutually satisfactory resolution to the dispute.
As an Arbitrator, Jerry is committed to an expedited, cost effective approach to arbitration for business, technology and construction industry disputes. His web site contains his approach to Case Management, including topics such as staged and proportionate discovery, tandem examination of expert witnesses and the use of Narrative Witness Statements to introduce the direct testimony of witnesses under the control of a party. As an engineer with degrees in both Mechanical and Civil Engineering, he is well suited to grasp the intricacies of complex and complicated processes.
Jerry sits on panels for both Mediation and Arbitration of the American Arbitration Association for commercial, construction and large complex cases, and has served on the Association’s faculty on Green Building topics. Additionally, he is on the panel of civil mediators for the Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, and Washtenaw County Circuit Courts, with a focus on early case intervention and as a subject matter expert in Business Court facilitation. He has served as court-appointed mediator and special master in federal and state courts and acts as a facilitator of negotiations for complex business transactions. He also participates as a member of dispute resolution boards, and as a standing neutral.
Follow the link below for Jerome Rock’s website, which contains additional information on his approach to ADR for both Mediation, Arbitration and the hybrid process of Med-Arb, as well as forms, case studies and references.
Go to www.JeromeRockLaw.com
AREAS OF EXPERTISE/SUBJECT MATTER QUALIFICATIONS
- Business and Commercial Disputes
- Construction Disputes
- Technology and Intellectual Property Disputes
- Insurance and Indemnity
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
University of Detroit School of Law, J.D.
Northwestern University, M.S.in Civil Engineering
University of Detroit, B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Martindale- Hubbell, AV Preeminent
– AV Preeminent Peer Review and Judicial Review awarded by Martindale-Hubbell
• Super Lawyer
– Super Lawyer in ADR since 2012 by Thompson Reuters
• Top Lawyer
– Top Lawyer by Detroit Business Magazine
- State of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- American Arbitration Association
- Panel of Neutrals for Mediation and Arbitration for Commercial, Construction and Large Complex Cases
- State Bar of Michigan
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Litigation, Insurance and Indemnity, Business Law, and Labor and Employment Law Sections
- Wayne and Macomb County Bar Association
- Former chair, co-chair of ADR Committee
- Approved Civil Mediator for Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and Washtenaw County Circuit Courts
- Approved Probate Mediator, Oakland County Probate Court
- Former Licensed Residential Builder, State of Michigan
- LEED® Accredited Professional (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) by U.S. Green Building Council
- Engineering Society of Detroit, ADR Committee
- Wayne State University
- Adjunct Lecturer, Engineering and Construction Law
Chapter Author, Negotiation and Settlement. Michigan Civil Procedure, Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
• Protocol for Pre-Suit Mediation of Business Disputes
• Protocol for Narrative Witness Statements for Commercial Arbitration
• Protocol for Med-Arb for Business Disputes
• Protocol for PreMediation of Business Disputes
• Instruction Manual for Mediation using Zoom
• Instruction Manual for Arbitration using Zoom
Search for other PREMI professionals
PREMi is a unique association of lawyer ADR professionals with unparalleled expertise in ADR processes, the substantive disciplines that underlay disputes, and the state and federal courts that hear them. Our mediator/arbitrators are diverse in every respect: dispute resolution styles, legal and educational backgrounds,
race, gender, and geography.